School Uniforms Pros and Cons
Let's take a quick look at school uniforms pros and cons. There are good points on both sides of the argument. As a Libertarian, I'm generally against school uniforms, but I recognize that there are benefits.
Whether the benefits are real or imagined isn't for me to decide. This is a choice for parents.
More importantly, even if we don't like the idea of school uniforms, people should have a choice regarding the matter. That's all part of freedom - you must have the courage to let others be free to choose.
And, you have to sit still even when their choice (in favor of school uniforms) isn't what you would choose for yourself or your children. You don't have to sit still when people are trying to choose for you and your children, because that's taking away your right of choice.
If you're ambivalent about the subject, this quick peek at both sides of the debate should help get you a bit more familiar with the basic arguments. There very well may be some aspects of the discussion that you haven't considered.
The benefits of school uniforms and the arguments against them are examined in detail on the linked pages below. For now, let's just focus at a top level with respect to school uniforms pros and cons. This should provide a good starting point for understanding the topic in general.
School Uniforms Pros and Cons - a quick look at the Pros
- Uniforms affect behavior in a positive manner.
- Self-image is also affected positively when wearing a uniform.
- It's easier to dress your children for school.
- Identification of those who belong at school and those who don't is easier.
- School uniforms make dress code enforcement easier.
- Gangs at school can't show their "colors" or characteristic symbols.
- There's no distracting fashion show at school when you wear a uniform.
- Household income doesn't become a visible issue with school uniforms; the focus is on the person, not what they are wearing.
This is a healthy list of eight pros when it comes to school uniforms. Here is a closer look at the benefits of school uniforms, and my analysis of each of the arguments.
School Uniforms Pros and Cons - a quick look at the Cons
- Uniforms diminish self-expression.
- School uniforms may be distasteful to some students.
- The cost of uniforms is higher than casual clothing.
- Students involved in altercations aren't as easily identified because they all dress the same.
- Student identity as an individual is lost.
- Being required to wear a uniform teaches an early lesson in lack of choice - something that is contrary to core American values.
- Uniforms can be costly, and they serve as an unnecessary double expense for a child's clothing.
- The idea of uniforms doesn't match well with the real world that children will eventually be part of.
The cons for school uniforms is an equally healthy list of eight. Here is more detailed discussion of the reasons many people are against school uniforms, and my analysis of these arguments.
Regardless of whether you buy into any of the school uniforms pros and cons, as a Libertarian, I have to say that the choice is yours as a parent that pays for your child's education. As a student, your freedom of choice should also be respected.
In any event, as long as what you wear (and how you wear it) doesn't unreasonably interfere with the rights of others, it shouldn't be an issue. Our focus should be freedom of choice and allowing others to be free as well.
Done with School Uniforms Pros and Cons, take me back to American Education